IPS History

IPS History

Dr. Edward J. Boling, President of The University of Tennessee, had a vision to create an institute that would take university expertise to governments and industries across the state of Tennessee, much like the UT Institute of Agriculture assisted farmers in Tennessee. His idea was to bring technical assistance, applied research, consulting services, information and training to Tennesseans. As a result of his vision and recommendation, the UT Board of Trustees formed The Institute for Public Service at a special called meeting on Aug. 18, 1971. Hear him discuss his vision. Boling was the budget director for the state of Tennessee and had worked with the University, therefore he knew how university expertise could be used around the state. Hear him talk about it.

Boling’s recommendation said IPS “would encompass all of the functions of its component organizations and would provide: 1) a system-wide focal point for urban and public service; 2) a means to coordinate the various system-level public service activities; and 3) an organizational base for communication and program development that relates to both outside service clientele of the University and the campuses of the University system.”

The UT Board of Trustees accepted a recommendation by Boling in August 1971 to creat the Institute for Public Service. IPS became the umbrella organization for the Municipal Technical Advisory Service (MTAS) which had helped Tennessee cities since its creation in 1949.

In 1974, the Tennessee General Assembly amended Section 67-3047 of Tennessee Code Annotated to change the words “division of university extension” to the words “institute for public service.” The Act to amend the section took effect July 1, 1974.

 

IPS Timeline

2000: Tom Ballard becomes Vice President of Public and Government Relations
MTAS Elected Officials Academy
begins LEIC receives funding through the U.S. Justice Department Edward Byrne Fund
LEIC starts cybercrime training Michael Sullivan becomes Executive Director of LEIC
2001: National Forensic Academy™ (NFA™) begins to train crime scene investigators CGT is dissolved
2002: LEIC receives funding for Project Safe Neighborhoods
Michael Garland becomes Executive Director for CTAS
2003: LEIC receives $3 million to establish the Center for Homeland Security Training
2004: Hank Dye becomes Vice President of Public Relations and Government Affairs, overseeing IPS
2005: David Hall becomes Executive Director of CIS
2006: Daniel Baker becomes Executive Director LEIC
The Gary H. Hensley Municipal Management Internship Endowment is established for MTAS
Small Business innovation Research Program (SBIR) starts at CIS
2007: Dr. Mary Jinks becomes Associate Vice President of IPS
The Mary and Jack Jinks Institute for Public Service (IPS) Scholarship is established
2008:

The National Forensic Academy opens its new 7,000-square-foot training facility
Mike Tallent named Executive Director of MTAS
IPS Surpasses the $2 million mark for the Campaign for Tennessee
Dr. Mary Jinks is named Vice President of Public Service for UT
Chuck Shoopman and Dr. Karen Holt became assistant vice presidents for IPS

2009:

The Naifeh Center for Effective Leadership is established by the Tennessee Legislature
Don Green named Executive Director of LEIC
Paul Jennings named Executive Director of CIS following the retirement of David Hall

2010: Mike Tallent named AVP at IPS
Steve Thompson named Executive Director of MTAS
IPS establishes the Leadership Academy
2011: 40 years for IPS
2012: Jim Thomas named executive director of MTAS
2012: Steve Thompson named assistant vice president of IPS
2012: Students complete first NFA College Program
2012: CIS launches new "Made in Tennessee" program for State's Manufacturers
2013: IPS Agencies to receive TNCPE Committment Award
2013: CIS 50th anniversary
2013: "Made in TN" Bill signed by Governor Haslam  
2014: Vice President Dr. Mary Jinks announces her retirement; Dr. Herb Byrd, III named interim vice president
2015: CIS is awarded once again with the Manufacturing Extension Partnership contract.
2016: Dr. Herb Byrd III is named  Vice President of Public Service
 

 

1990: MTAS Moves home office to the UT Conference Center
1991: Tom Ballard becomes Associate Vice President of IPS
Rodney Carmichael becomes Executive Director of CTAS
1994: Bingham Endowment Fund is established for visiting consultants of MTAS
Tennessee Materials Exchange program starts at CIS
The Kessel Special Projects Endowment is established at CTAS
1995: First issue of Tennessee Materials Exchange program started
CIS begins charging user fees for service
1996: Event Management Services starts as support group for CGT and CIS
1997: Southeastern Community Oriented Policing Education Institute is established, later becoming LEIC
Ron Gibson becomes Executive Director of CGT
1998: First private fund-raising campaign raises more than $1 million for IPS
Critical Care Program is dissolvedS
COPE expands into the new Law Enforcement Innovation Center

 

 

1980:Odell Miner becomes Executive Director of MTAS
1981: Robert Hutchinson becomes Vice President of Public Service
and Continuing Education
1981: Gary M. Mabrey III becomes Executive Director of CGT
1982: IPS and the Division of Continuing Education consolidate
under the same Vice President
1982: Tom Ballard becomes Executive Director of IPS
1983: C.L. Overman becomes Executive Director of MTAS
1983: T.C. Parsons becomes Executive Director of CIS
1984: County Officials Certificate Training Program (COCTP) begins
1984: Patricia Davis becomes Executive Director of CGT
1986: CIS begins its affiliation with the national
Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC)
1987: Sammie Lynn Puett becomes Vice President of IPS
1989: Robert M. Wormsley becomes Executive Director of CTAS
1989: Tom Ballard becomes Assistant Vice President of IPS
1989: Robert Schwartz becomes Executive Director of MTAS
1989: CTAS County Officials Certificate Training Program (COCTP) earns
legislative accreditation
1989: The Local Government Leadership Program (LGLP) is created

 

1970: S.H.(Bo)Roberts is named Vice
President for Urban and Public Affairs
1971: The Institute for Public Service (IPS) is created
by the UT Board of Trustees
1971: The Critical Care Education Center (CCEP) is created
1973: Roy S. Nicks becomes Vice President for Urban and Public Affairs
1973: The County Technical Assistance Service (CTAS) is created
by TCA (49-9-402)
1973: Ralph Harris becomes the first Executive Director of CTAS
1973: CCEP becomes part of IPS
1973: General Assembly moves mandate of the Government Industry
Law Center (GILC) to IPS and GILC is dissolved
1974: The Tennessee General Assembly amended TCA to establish IPS
1975: James H. Westbrook becomes Executive Director of CTAS
1975: Charles E. Smith becomes Vice President for Urban and Public Affairs
1976: MTAS Memphis office closes – Jackson office opens
1979: MTAS moves into Andy Holt Apartment offices
1946: Tennessee Municipal League established
1946: Herbert Bingham becomes Executive Director of Tennessee
Municipal League
1948: Luther Gutlick speaks about the importance of creating MTAS
1949: The Municipal Technical Advisory Service (MTAS) is created by the
Tennessee Code Annotated (49-9-403 TCA
1949: MTAS receives first request from the City of Norris
1949: Gerald Shaw becomes the first Executive Director of MTAS
1949: MTAS establishes office space at the UT Aviation Barracks
1949: MTAS establishes relationship with the Tennessee Municipal League
(TML) through the Memorandum of Understanding
1950: MTAS hires first four consultants
1950: First issue of TML's Tennessee Town and City is published
1950: MTAS moves into new office in the UT College of Law building
1953: Victor Hobday becomes Executive Director of MTAS
1953: MTAS opens first regional office in Nashville
1956: MTAS Library is formally organized
1963: The Government Industry Law Center (GILC) is created (TCA 49-9-401)
1963: The Center for Industrial Services (CIS) is created (TCA 49-9-403)
1965: MTAS opens Memphis regional office
1966: MTAS formally divides state into regions
1967: Center for Government Training (CGT) is created by
Executive Order of the Governor
1967: Donald Sullivan becomes the first Executive Director of CGT

 

 

Feedback
Go to top